Thursday, August 02, 2012

Bliss Savage Beauty Review

I was very surprised when I heard Bliss' launch was to be held at Hilton, I was even more confused when I saw it was Hilton's ballroom and not poolside as most fetes are typically held. It was actually quite underwhelming as I approached the entrance because they were not able to decorate to make an entrance with impact as they typically try to do. Some blue lighting give it a bit of ambiance but for the most part it could have been any generic cocktail party. I immediately felt claustrophobic walking into the room because of that low ceiling. Fortunately I had some Punchy Punch shots upon entry to take the edge off. You could see the stage set up had to be scaled back as well and I was a bit worried about how they were going to manage with some of those bigger backpacks. Loved the use of the shadow boxes to display the costumes. I was not really surprised when we did not get to see any of the individual costumes as with the TRIBE launch.
The crowd itself was an interesting mix with both a younger crowd and a more mature crowd with some sprinkles of the inbetweens. Early on you would have really thought it was just a cocktail party and I guess the environment kinda forced that upon us. It did not help when the Dj announced the start of the show way too early and people started gathering around the stage basically just standing around waiting for the action to start. As much as we tried to break the monotony by visiting the bar, I was most horrified to see the cost of the drinks. Word on the street, Bliss being treated like the outside child again, had not organised a bar license in time and was therefore forced to go to a venue with an established bar license. Therefore we were being presented with Hilton bar prices which ran $55 for a Johnny Walker, $25 for a red bull and $5 for a doubles. (yes $5). For those who might have been in shock, there was a resuscitation device on hand in the form of blasts of air straight into your face while standing at the bar. Well they got one big steups from me and I realised I would be the night's designated driver. For those who were I imagine that is why the vibe remained as social as it did for most of the night. To be honest, I'm going to give all props to Punchy Punch for saving that party because the people who seemed to be having a really good time were those who had a bottle of Punchy punch on hand for sharing. So after almost falling asleep on myself, we finally got to see the costumes:

BENGAL TIGER

 I am a big fan of prints in costumes especially animal prints. So i was very interested in seeing what this costume would actually look like. I must say I love how it came out. Love the style of the monokini. I really like how the pattern on the bra ties into the collar. At the show, I heard a few ppl gasp at the thought that the collar was made of fur. I think its absolutely fantastic that the illusion of fur was created with feathers. The beauty of this costume is all in the collar.  Also its a very road friendly costume and you should be comfortable enough to wear this costume all day. One of my favs.







HOODED PITOHUI

 Prior to the show , I heard rumors that this designer had an ugly costume. And to be honest, i have never been a fan of most of her work in the past. however I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw. I really liked the colors, the halter bra is well decorated and the waistband, although its pretty standard, its attractive. The accessories really take this costume up another level. Definitely a safe choice.

AGAMA LIZARD 

 We have been seeing this color combo quite a bit in recent times but I really like it nonetheless.  I think this costume is also a nice compact frontline that is very easy for on the road. I really like the style of the wire bra. The tassels on the sides of the waistband are really cute.
QUEEN COBRA


Love!Love! Love! The body wear on this frontline is amazing. A very interesting choice of colours for the animal in question and I think it works well. Love the headpiece design and its very much on point with the theme.I had mixed feelings about the cape because I generally don't like that accordion fabric but in this case I would totally rock it. I think the color and the iridescent finish make it work and it ties in well with the Cobra image the costume is trying to portray. I  must also make mention of this backline version cause its just as awesome. Love the tassels and the neckpiece. This is hands down my favorite in the band. And Punchy Punch involved here as well? You can't lose here. This section may have he most vibes in the whole band.





LIONFISH 


Still one of my favourite in the band. I like how even though its an aquatic creature you get a tribal look. Love the variation on the halter bra on the back line.


SCORPION FISH 


This costume is all headpiece. It's ginormous. It looks gorgeous but I hope who ever signs up is prepared to commit to it on the road. I have noticed ruffles are quite popular  this year and I'm a bit on the fence about them. I think I like this costume better without the ruffle in the middle but I like the ones on the sides. Its an easy fixed. Really like the decoration on the bra. The backline costume is really cute.









LUNA MOTH 


I'm really liking the yellows this year for some reason. I was a bit confused when I saw the wings cause clearly it looks like it should be in Tribe. I understand it may be a marketing thing but it really just made me feel that they compromised on the theme. The body wear is pretty but very skimpy. Another situation where you need to look like the model to pull this off. She really worked those wings as well. WTF is up with those long pieces hanging from the end of the wings??? No only is it a trip hazard but can you imagine that dragging along the streets of Port of Spain all day? Gross!







 NUDIBRANCH


 I think this may be my least favorite costume of the lot. I  like the design of it but I am not feeling the primary colors. There is a splash of orange in their as well and I like the striped feathers. Interesting use of the cords. The color ruins it for me.













JEWELLED ANENOME


I really like this one as well. It has a bit of an Amazon/Amazonia feel to it but that was a great costume as well. Good mix of colors. Love the frontline bra.















I am really glad that Tribe made the effort to give Bliss masqueraders some really competitive options when it comes to costumes. That way people can focus on their preferences in terms of the road experience they are looking for as opposed to where has the better costumes. I am a big fan of the Bliss idea and I think we are seeing a big improvement on how Tribe is managing it. They seem to have finally gotten some respect but in some instances I still feel like they get the short end of the stick. Perfect example being the launch which seems very thrown together last minute. I know one of the other biggest complaints is the vibe is lacking and the age group is generally older so it probably was a good move to pull the Punchy Punch section from Tribe and put it in Bliss. That should help fix both of those issues. Adding Private Ryan to the line up will also go a long way. I can't speak for what their ultimate goals are but I was always confused why they basically phased out the older members of the committee and placed them with Bliss and left a younger committee with Tribe. It should have been no surprise that older people who end up signed up in Bliss and younger in Tribe because that's who they are friends with. If you want it to be more mixed then the committees need to be mixed as well. If that was the intention to separate older from younger well they did a good job with that. I might be a bit concerned now, cause with the older crowd locked, I wonder how many of them will feel comfortable in some of those costumes.They are all attractive but not very modest.

My Favs : Queen Cobra, Luna Moth , Lionfish, Jewelled Anenome

1 comment:

Javed said...

This is a really good site post, im delighted I came across it. Ill be back down the track to check out other posts that
http://www.karneval-fasching-kostueme.de/