Monday, August 15, 2011

YUMA:PRESS PLAY Review

Well I don't really have to tell anybody that YUMA pulled out all the stops for their band launch. Enormous stage, free drinks and hot costumes! The one thing I really love about Yuma is the way,from day one, they pay attention to the consumer and address every grievance that people may have had with other bands. You want nice male costumes, look nice male costumes. You want to know why we not playing soca, we just giving a tease of carnival (LOL). They had a justification and an explaination for everything they did. When you think about it,If Yuma can manage to right all the wrongs of other bands they will be the perfect band. However getting past registration may put a spanner in that dream, there is just no easy way to do it without pissing off some people. This band had lots of 'wow' moments during the presentation. I almost fell off my chair at one point.Ok well this should be pretty quick, here is my take on the costumes:

SPAWN
Nice standard costume. I liked how they covered the backline bra with the sequins in a diagonal pattern as opposed to the typical straight across. The little details like the skull and the brooched straps cute.

HEAVENLY SWORD
Of course the stand out point of this design is the halter fabric bra on the backline. I prefer a halter bra generally because its flattering on any body type. The top has a little sparkle to it and although we (the bloggerati) generally frown on under decorated bras, they just get away with it with the heavy working in the bra band. I would like a closer look at the waistband for sure. The Fl bra looks gorgeous with the gems. Although I did not notice it at the show , the top and bottom seem to be a bit off in colour when viewed in the pics. Will have to take another look at that.

CALL OF DUTY
I am genuinely amazed that this costume worked out so well.Like this could have gone so wrong but it was done so right. This is 'thinking out the box' in the right way.It's different but still cute and attractive.I personally would have preferred fabric instead of feathers on the bra but its covered in a way where it looks solid at a distance so I would still go with it.Love the touches with the cord, love the waistband with the brass buttons. The beret is a nice touch but my hair doesn't work well with hats.I would definitely rock a Rambo headband though. Well the frontline has some fantastic bodywear. Design wise, its on point.Love the brass notions. Like really, I don't mean to gush, its not even really my style but respect! The shade of green in the backpack was throwing me off a bit but everything else is so on point , I'll live with it.

AZTECA
WOW.I love everything about this costume. On point with theme.Well you know I get chain up with the colours one time. Love the use of the turquoise stones, especially in a shape/way I have not seen before. The FL is to die for! That top design. *faint* The bra is still decorated underneath it! PLEASE SEND ONE c/o Carnival Jumbie.

GOLDEN EYE
To be honest, it's not one of my favs but its a pretty costume. It's very simple and if you don't want too much frou frou , it works for you. I personally don't like that fringe used on the headpieces especially the long one on the FL. It's Carnival and as I have said before, you can get away with it. I guess with my hair again, it will never work for me. The chain making the the V on the waistband is a cute touch.

APACHE
LIKE WOW. My favourite part is the overlay on the bra for the frontline. There is nothing I would change. Absolutely gorgeous. Notice the bras are decorated even with the fringe at the top!

ANGRY BIRDS
I like the FL, but with best sales person working that costume , how could you not. The bra and belt are super bling and its super skimpy. You see the back?? wayyyy Love the movement in the backpack. The individual.....ummmm I dunno why the talked up the fact that they used that black leatherette on the bustier, not only does it look off but it looks like it will be hot as hell. I don't really like the stiffness of the wings and I would love to see how they making out on the road in crowds with that. I hate those gloves.

FINAL FANTASY
I had high hopes for this costume,being a Final fantasy peong. Not quite sure how it tied in with the game but the giant individual wings made is what almost made me fall off my chair. It's too much for me but Wow. I love the bodywear for the frontlines. I'm a bit on the fence about the backline bra design, I need to see it up close. It sucks to be them standing next to the FLs lol.

TYRIS
Well ,if you have beenn reading along you know I am campaigning to ban salmon/flamingo pink from Carnival. Ok maybe next year cause this costume is very nice. Solid backline, love the FL.
The FL bra and backpack are awesome. Great movement in that backpack.

TRANSFORMERS
This would be my least fav of the band. It's not a bad costume for a first time but I think the designer's inexperience is clear. The design is very simplistic and with the primary colour scheme it looks even more basic. What irked me most of all is the extremely poor fit of the bra on the frontline model. All her boobs was squishing out the underneath and sides. If it doesn't fit , get another model that does!! It looked horrible!

GOD OF WAR
Love the FL wings and the use of the multiway monokini. However I am a bit on the fence about how it was decorated, the waistband especially looks a bit scanty. I need to see that backline up close. I'm either going to love it or hate it.

LUXOR
WOWSERS. Love the FL.Absolutely love the collar with the monokini. Love the waistband side pieces.The Fl is really over the top, can't wait to see that pricing. The backline is decorated really well but not sure about the BL headpiece. I doh know how much more they could have squeeze onto that individual, it's huge.Gorgeous.

BEJEWLED BLITZ
And that it is! The splash of colour in the headpiece is what makes this costume. I love that although its a largely monochrome body wear, some of the gems pick up the rainbows of colour in the light. Interesting collar on the FL and the pants on the individual are hot! It has not escaped me that since the launch photos of a similar costume from Rio's Carnival have surfaced. It's no secret that many of the designers in all bands use Rio costumes for inspiration, and many individuals bring Rio costumes as what they are going for in the design of their costume. Well at least they did not reproduce something oogly. I am quite sure nobody is going to say "Oh my gawd, it's looks just like that costume,I'm not buying it". Let's not forget that whole Zune affair with IP and Tribe's Persian Gold. That was in the same country the same year. It happens.

Ok so My top picks (no order): Luxor,Apache, Azteca
Least fav picks : Transformers, Golden Eye

Good luck getting in!smh

1 comment:

Trinbago Rights said...

YUMA is definitely a premium band. The costumes are beautiful, sexy and the website is AMAZING.

With this being my first Carnival in Trinidad for 9 years, your website is going to be my favourite for the next few months! :-)

Thanks for the info!