Saturday, January 10, 2009

Downtown Jumbie

So last week I decided that I had better get moving on these Carnival necessities and accessories list that I have and went into the Mall that is West to the place for tights...Micles. Well since Micles renovate , like they eh know what they really about. To me the previous version was much better organised and had a greater variety of thing. Nonetheless, I asked one of the staff if she had stockings to which she responded that they don't sell that. I further clarified that I meant the Carnival stockings to which she again say they did not have any. I asked her when they were getting and she said she did not know. I had to request that she check and the other girl also did not know. I sought further clarification as to whether they intended to get at all at any time and they also did not know. They then told me to check in Port of Spain branch. I was not amused and most concerned as to when they intended to get tights. Now that they are such a hot seller, getting size and colour becomes a problem when everyone is forced to stock up at the 11th hour. That's why I found myself downtown in Port of Spain today.

My friend and I decided to make it Carnival outing so our first stop was Samaroos. I guarantee you, if you really need to get stuff to bling out or put together any other kit then its best you go anytime around now. I doubt Samaroos will ever be as empty soon thereafter. So we again went hunting for stockings which unfortunately we were told Samaroos were not getting all the colours and sizes until the 24th January or so.Interesting to note, according to the staff, the packaging for the 'Silky' brand tights changed their packaging to look more like a standard stocking package in a green colour. So you have two package types with the same product.To my best knowledge the Silky brand of tights that is also what is packaged as a 'Micles' branding as well. However Micles brand packaging looks more like the original 'Silky' packaging.I basically forgot about everything else I wanted to macco in Samaroos and hightailed it over to Micles on Frederick Street to see if they had in stock. Much to my relief , I was able to get my size and colour at Micles (although she had to pull some from the store room). According to the staff there, all stores, including West Mall, will be getting a shipment of stockings closer to Carnival.Apparently they sell the stockings there year round. I for one, was not waiting. Next thing yuh know the container stuck on the port or some next bull crap. I know I am a bit early but not soooo early that they should not have readily available. One thing off my list.

Next stop was to take a turn in Picadilly Shoes in Excellent City Center which are supplying Tribe with the optional boots. I still don't know what I am wearing on Monday so I figured it would not hurt to try on a pair instead of trying to find something online. I encountered a pair of girls, also hunting for boots for Tribe, who were most distressed. Apparently they are all sold out of flat gold coloured boots. Interestingly , there is a blue spray-painted boot which I imagine is for Cotinga but I was not really feeling it.They had a few brown pairs and some other colours in stock and they were most concerned that we would be there to buy the last of their size in their colour before they made up their minds if to go with the brown instead. Apparently they had a whole crew who wanted the same colour boots and she did not want to be the odd one out. I think she was relieved when I asked to try on and I was not her size. So I tried on a black boot in my size which has the same distressed finish as the others. It felt comfortable and soft but too big for my foot. I was concerned about my foot rattling around in the shoe all day.Of course they had no socks for me to try with it. I of course would not even risk a smaller size unless I tried on my size with socks so they lost their sale right there. I also did not feel that they had very good arch support for me. However , I have very very high arches so it may be ok for someone else. Even with insoles in my flat-footed custom boots last year, I was still uncomfortable.I am not convinced that these will be much better for me.It still is a good alternative. The store is giving the option of paying down 50% ($200) for the boots to collect at a later date when they are in stock. Being that I was not sold I did not entertain that option.The other girls were desperate enough to pay up the deposit. Again, as far as I concerned...6 weeks before Carnival and it have no stock....I not convinced that they will get it for sure. Maybe on my next trip I will walk with socks and get a delivery of stock update.

The priority of course was to ensure costume was paid up for. I advise everyone who is financially and physically able to get their costume paid off this week.That goes for whatever band you may be registered in. One, you wont spend it. Two, it makes collection easier and faster (Unless of course you still waiting for your costume to get to the distribution center). Three, if there are any last minute issues with your order, you still have an opportunity to address it. If you think you might chicken out on the thongs then its easier to find a regular bottom now than Carnival Sunday. Well unfortunately I spent so long spinning around in P.O.S that I got to the camp waaaaay late and did not pay up. On Monday for sure I will be settled up.

At least I was able to accomplish one thing today. Progress has been made!Now to knock the others off the list!

No comments: