Sunday, February 24, 2008

Carnival and the Carnival Jumbie: Part 2, Carnival Monday

Aight nah..Carnival Monday.....!
So I started off Monday fresh as I did not try to storm Lara or play J'Ouvert. I had on my Monday kit which was a sequined halter business and the special Silver mist hot shorts. I opted to wear my sneakers because the weather was looking a bit iffy and I was not too confident in how my boots were going to hold up. After meeting up with the crew we took our usual long trek down Tragarete Rd to meet the band. Long time when it was Poison we were meeting this trek was not so bad but to reach Stanmore Ave it was like an expedition. However it was still interesting because we would pass through Pulse 8 and Harts meeting points and see some of the sights.

And I am really sorry I could not take pictures of some of the sights for your viewing amusement cause I almost pee myself laughing at some of the stuff I see. Someof the highlights of Pulse 8 crew...Why it is a woman in Pulse 8 could put on the bikini top of a costume from Tribe LAST year and call that a Monday outfit???Did she really think no one would notice?? No one would ask "Whey yuh get that?" when it obviously does not belong in Pulse 8 2K8. When I thought I caught myself from that I was confronted with a 200+ pound lady in a plunging high cut whole piece with no tights. Parts of the swimsuit were actually disappearing into her flesh. Why it is when we do the double take and get the back view...the swimsuit is a thongs???? LAWWWWWWD!!

Our pass through Harts produced some similar sites. And as is my comment every year ..."I see white people". Now honestly , Harts is CLEARLY almost exclusively comprised of people of a fairer complexion. Why that is I can never quite understand. Maybe its a more 'family' band where a family member has a section and several generations of the family play in the same section. But I for one as a person of colour would feel a bit uncomfortable if I were to play in that band. I don't think I even saw anyone I knew. The costumes also left something to be desired and a majority had on their costume top and bottom.

Of course there was the run ins with the people now coming from Jouvert. i.e the drunk dutty old men who want to try and hold on to yuh. GROSS.

When we finally reach Stanmore I was shocked to realise that the band was still there at 11:00am. Usually they are right on time and I am running to catch them. It was just as well cause I was able to cool myself for a little while. While standing on the side of the road watching the first movements of the band , my friend and I were innudated with questions about what section we were in (she was in the same outfit). Really and truly my Monday outfit looked better than my costume top. I would have worn it to replace my costume on Tuesday but it was so long that it looked jokey with the waistband. So when I told ppl what section I was in that lead to a series of more questions I guess because of the Silver Mist fiasco. I actually had a whole group confront me to demand how I had this option for Silver Mist that was not available to them. I guess they pegeed us as 'friends' of the designer. But I can tell you I get cut eye WHOLE day.Eventually I just told ppl it was another Secret Section lolol.

The band moved quickly throughout the morning and we were at the Savannah in no time. The band itself however was noticeably more disorganised than previous years. Many people did not even seem to attempt to get something that matches their section for Monday wear. They just put on their denim shorts and Hanes vests from home.The security was not really roping off the sections and the banners were jumbled. I dunno nah, I find that as recent as year before I was pretty much in my section all day on a Monday.But maybe thats because I had the privelege of a good music truck with my section and all my friends were in the section so I had no reason to go anywhere but to pee. Any who we linked up with the Xcalibur truck which in past years has had the most hype. We actually had to run behind the truck up Charlotte St cause it was moving at a pace!

The Savannah just confuses me now. So it was nice they set up the viewing stands properly.(Not that naybody really sat in them) But up to now I not sure where the judges were or where the stage start or where it stop. It had stands going right along the length of that whole side of the Savannah. You not sure when to start railing up for the road march and you sure as hell can't mainatain that road march pace sown the whole length of the strip. I Waving and Hold-ing ,Congo man-ing and Roll-ing down the road and I tired!Cause it so long that they c ould play all the contenders twice!

It was also a race to lunch and apparently quite a few people raced ahead because the place was packed by the time I reach. I had to take shade by some overgrown weed. The bathroom line was completely ridiculous. I think Tribe really should look into getting some more bathrooms since they seem to have the same amount that they have had since Year 1. I had the Mexican food although I could not really understand what about it made it Mexican since it was corn pie, spanish rice (?) and lentils and some bake chicken. Movements about an hour later found us heading to Woodbrook

Going down the streets through Woodbrook to Ariapita Ave is usually the most irritating part of the day for me. The streets are much smaller, the band is always 10 times more disorganised after lunch and by this time everybody figure out that the truck you by is a good truck. The congestion down them streets was almost unbearable and I DO remember a day with Tribe when it was not so. Sigh. This is usually the time when I make sure to keep my drink full. Heading down the Ave was not much better with all the spectators. Ok , message to spectators.....ROAD=Masqueraders. SIDEWALK=spectators. Why people who watching trying to elbow me out the band? I go tell you when I had to rough up a lady. Coming down by the Ice factory the truck was again racing down to Park St. This lady had her kids who could not have been more than 2 and 4 years in the road wining. Well men trying to catch up with the truck....a whole stampede of people running behind the truck. A man who eh even see the chile in the road is to trip over the 2 year old and land on top of her and the next child. The woman start to scream. They run and scoop up the chirren. Now that mom eh need a hard slap? Even if people were chiipin down the road or at a standstill that is No place for such a small chile!

Not a few feet down the road in front the ice factory a next masquerader trip and nearly get trample and end up underneath a drinks truck. It is only by the grace of God some other masqueraders were quick enough to grab her before the truck could crush her. That would have been one next bacchanal.

A quick tack back onto Tragarete rd as dark was falling was the sign that the day was drawing to a close. Ironically this was also when we got our first sign of rain falling. The party was still going on in the rain as we lined off on Stanmore Ave. When I thought my day was winding down the excitement had just started. I ended up in the line of fire of a bitch fight. Yeah , so I minding my business jumbie dancing and two girls who came to blows run right into me and nearly throw me in the drain off Stanmore. Well after the fight was parted and I regained my balance , that was the end of my night there. Only thing left was to make the trek back down to home base and recover for Day 2!

6 comments:

Triniprincess said...

Great write up Jumbie, I felt like I was right there too.

And your Monday gear was HOTTT too bad, some bloggers pointed you out in pictures.

Carnival Jumbie said...

so much for being incog-negro lololol

Anonymous said...

just thought I'd leave some comments on your bit on passing through Harts...

it really is a family band in that many families have their at least 2 generations playing in the same band, plus cousins, aunties etc, which is kinda nice if you ask me (and if you don't have a problem playing with your parents). I don't really think that certain families have sections in the band itself...although I could be mistaken. What I do know is that certain families sponsor drinks carts in the band, so you'd just naturally sign up with the cart your family or friend has...

As for why Harts seems to be the choice for the "fairer" Trinis...I don't really have an answer but it seems that there is a huge social network among that group in Trinidad, particularly those living in port of spain and it's environs (and some parts of sando too)...and just like anyone else who plays mas, you usually want to play with your friends :)

The comment you made about thinking you'd feel uncomfortable playing in Harts made me think...because being a fair Trini myself (although I have more indian, creole, portuguese, african etc in me than anything else, so I do not consider myself white or caucasian), as I was growing up I would also encounter those feelings just in general day to day activities, and particularly in going to parties. I have had too many people come and ask me if I was born here...as if fair people can't be trini too! lol Thank God I've grown outta that now and can look beyond my complexion...and just enjoy myself wherever I am!

I myself have played in Harts before and the vibe is cool...just because you often have a big lime somewhere in the band and everyone's geared up to have a time on the road. So in that respect it's just like any other band. I never thought it was a social scene, as I've noticed some parts of some bands can be (played in Poison before and now TRIBE...), but others may feel that ppl in Harts doh behave as raucous as ppl in other bands...I suppose to each his own...I guess each band has it's own mix of social and misbehaving individuals :)

the whole business of having a separate monday outfit has never seemed to infiltrate Harts though...most ppl just wear their top and waistband or top and shorts/hot pants and they good to go. The first time I really came across the whole monday outfit thing was on Saucy's site...to be honest I would just wear my top and find hotpants to match but I did try the Monday outfit thing this year....I can see the pros and cons but it kinda hurts my heart to spend all that money and not wear parts of my costume on both days...

One thing I have to say though is that Harts costumes LAST LONG! All my old ones are still intact and the only wear and tear has been to gold beads that would get discoloured....I can't say the same for TRIBE costumes though, particularly this year as my costume was falling apart on the road on Tuesday...so thank goodness I wore a Monday outfit this year!

Anonymous said...

suspense building for part 2.....

(Nurse) Karen said...

It's amazing what kind of energy you have for monday when you don't fete on Sunday! I learned that myself this year LOL

Anonymous said...

like this blog dead...