Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Soca Diva the Soca Star

Is over a year now I telling my boo boo bear that he had to bring a song for me and let me sing some soca for the season. I feel I had to make some money and I could make a real good Soca Star. I tell him all I need is a good song and a gimmick/trademark. It could be a new wine, a signature look something and I go do the rest. I eh bound to make it a career either. I could be very content being a one hit wonder and eat a food and like myself.

Most of would know about last Synergy Soca Star winner..Fireball. I real glad for he. From the beginning he really was a front runner. The song he won with is a best tune (with a bes' video) and his 2007 tune is already a favourite of mine and is getting heavy rotation on the airwaves. The man drop he tune FIRST for the season too eh. So, I watching Synergy Soca Star on T.V and nothing described this year auditions better than one of the finalists who sang "Tell me why yuh doing that". Cause I really wanted to know why some of them people who audition was doing that at all. Whole time I watching it, I telling him, "buh is best I go and sing a soca too..." Some of them was real lacking. It is as if they see a get rich quick opportunity and looking to try they hand. I doh think you should even attempt to risk embarrassment like that unless you really passionate about what you doing. Some of them come real vikey vie and completely unprepared and coming to song. Boy when I drop my demo so, I coming in full Stage attire (hopefully with a better stylist than Destra) and full song down pat!! Fully produced Cd the works, I eh taking it for no joke.

Buh doh get tie up!!! I have experience!!!Aye aye! Saucy jogged my memory when she asked what school I went to. Well FYI , I went to St.Joseph's Convent,Port-of-Spain.You have to say the whole ting jus so eh lololol. Oh gosh , I know allyuh disappointed and I sure a few ppl rolling up their eye. But I have always maintained that my year group was decidedly different to what the Convent girl stereotype maintains. For one, we was kinda ghetto.It really have more black ppl in the school than white ppl just so yuh know. And the majority did not come from rich /upperclass backgrounds. My squad was one set of JOKERS. My CLASS was a set of Jokers. Buh anyhow..back to experience!!

So every year , like most schools we have Carnival celebrations. This is a big deal in my school cause we have a calypso competition jointly with CIC. So on that Carnival Friday ppl excited cause the boys coming over!!My friends and I being the idiots that we were, decided we were sick and bored of the traditional calypso and we wanted to hear some SOCA!! So although none of us were particularly musically inclined, we wrote a song called the 'Convent Wave'.(original huh). It was based on the current controversy at the time which was copryright infringement on songs. The song started off sounding like a traditional calypso and then the choruses was a sudden change in hype with the words to different soca tunes changed. It then went back suddenly to being a regular slow calypso and choruses again with hype.We auditioned the tune for the judges and they were floored. However, they felt we had too much hype for the competition. Also because of the overt borrowing from other tunes they felt it was not original enough for the competition. That and the changes in the tune were so frequent it really had no real structure.We were asked to perform as a 'special guest' along with another older group while the results were tabulating. I feel is more cause our group always won our other wildly popular competition , the lip sync and they were just scared we would win with that jokey song.But the performance was to be our last hurrah as a performing troupe and we wanted to go out with a bang, so we agreed.

So with our song in the show, the next challenge was how we were going to pull off the performance without embarrassing ourselves. As I said, it would not be just our school (as with the lip sync) but the boys too! Can I tell you we were terrified! If we messed it up we would be laughing stocks of our school AND theirs. We would never live it down!So our solution...aha! Reverse psychology!! We make it look like we are INTENTIONALLY embarrassing ourselves so we can blame it on the act if things go badly! LOLOL . So we put out an open call to the year group for the most ridiculous 80s clothes that everyone could find. Well boy!! My contribution was a irridescent dhoti suit which our superblue impersonater wore. My kit was a multi coloured parero with a fringe and a YELLOW acid wash jeans with zippers up the back (that i had to lie down to get into) .

So on the day of the show we sucked it up, said a prayer and went on stage...We walk on in these ridiculous outfits and ppl laughing one time. But we expression DEAD serious eh. Nose up in the air very prim and proper.So we start off the song slow. I was one of the ole time 'backup singers' you does see on Calypso Monarch and ting. We had the side to side dance down pat ! It went something like this (I serious eh)....

It have a new style in T&T (pum pie, pum pa pie)
Everybody tiefin ppl line for free (pum pie,pum pa pie)
Alvin Daniel start copyright association..to try and fix the situation

But Alvin could go ahead and screw...
He can't stop the Convent Crew.....
Yuh know why? Yuh know why? We in the same thing too..

Chorus?
(Raise the tempo, raise the tempo, raise the tempo.)
One! Two! One ,two, three, four!
[Superblue] It's Carnival! It's Carnival!It's Bachannal! It's Bachannal!
Carnival, Carnival, Bachannal, Bachhanl, Humph!

Take out your belt and swing it!(x3)
Humph

[To the tune of that 'ripe plantain song]
Something in meh pocket keep sticking me...
It's meh red pencil! it's meh red pencil!

[to the tune of Chutney Bachannal]
This is what it sound like,it jooking me whole time,
This is what it sound like to me...
Ouch, Ooch,Eech Ouch,!
Oooch, Ouch , Ooch Eee! (x2)

Insert next verse...

Repeat Chorus

But Alvin could go ahead and screw...
He can't stop the Convent Crew.....
Yuh know why? Yuh know why? We in the same thing too..

Chorus?
(Raise the tempo, raise the tempo, raise the tempo.)
One! Two! One ,two, three, four!
[Superblue] It's Carnival! It's Carnival!It's Bachannal! It's Bachannal!
Carnival, Carnival, Bachannal, Bachhanl, Humph!

Take out your belt and swing it!(x3)
Humph![say it like Machel]


[to bottom in the road]
If you see a girl in with a badge and a green skirt
Convent in the road.....
(forget this part)

[to Dr.Cassandra..]
I was feeling ill..so I take a turn by the sick room corner..

But the room was filled so now its back to add maths with Mr.Sylvester..
I tell him, I tell him, take the school belt, take the school belt, take out yuh school belt

[to move it to the left..]
Move it to the left aye!Move it to the left everybody!
Move itto the right1 Oye ! Move it to the right everybody!
Down south, down south,down south
Up north , up north, up north..

I sure it had a next verse/chorus too but I find I do real good. How I remember this much i doh know. I have to check with the lead singer to see if she could fill in the gaps.
But let me tell you!!! The response was UNBELIEVABLE. Up to this point the show had been a sit down ting. Can I tell you that literally everybody was on their feet. Boys, girls..TEACHERS!! Boy when ppl start to take off their school belt and wave it is then bacchanal start. You would swear it was brass festival or soca monarch.That is how bad they was getting on. I see some teachers running upstairs to the balcony for a better view. Mouths hanging open and what going on in that crowd.When people start to move to the left, that is when I start to get frighten. I say we getting detention for SURE for causing this riot. The whole courtyard was moving left, then right like it was the savannah stage.I see the umbrella for the judges collapsing, I say lawd!Needless to say we literally brought down the house.

After we performance, the next act who fight we down to close the show start to back back. They want to know how they could go on stage after us. LOLOL. By this time ppl hyped up so nobody sitting back down. They had a more traditional calypso and they ended up performing but the moment had already passed.The dance get mash up already . They must be feel like how them performers feel after Machel perform and they have to go on next. But I eh go lie, it was a huge adrenalin rush, most kicks and a memory that will certainly last a lifetime.

So wha allyuh feel, I should get back in the business or wha??

Jamette..I know yuh could definitely testify to this one! TESTIFY GIRL TESTIFY!

18 comments:

pearlprincess said...

OMG! Jumbie I am a SJC POS alum too and I for the life of me cannot remember this!! This had to have happened after I left! LOL

Sexelise said...

LOL! Go jumbie Go1 I myself feel like I could do one hit wonder.. but I can't sing.. voice too sqeaky... lol

you have my support!

Bagogyul said...

i can be a backup dancer...allyuh sing

Jamette said...

Oh my lawd, I am dying of laughter here!!! I am queen bad memory so this play by play really brought back memories. And with all the bad memory i will never forget the lip sync to night nurse...who lip syncs to night nurse at a school lip sync competition??? And in full night nurse kit too...kyar kyar kyarrrr

Steups wha detention anybody coulda get by then, they wasn't bypassing detention for us by then? Is straight to the office, get a long talk , buss some tears (or not), go back to class, repeat. LOLOLOL

And *sigh* I have purposely not responded to many of the convent comments I see on blogs because i mean, is how much years ah go defend de place? And people could be rolling dey eyes all dey want yes, I still love my school, my experiences there made me who I am today and I think *toot toot* (thats my horn) I ain't too shabby.

But we were different eh, not bad different, the ones who come after us used to shock us with their 'different' we were miserable different. From day one, we had our own little sense of humor and thought that if it was funny, then everybody else HAD to think it was funny too...it didn't always work out that way but hey we had our laughs! But yes...school ring wearing caunvent girl here, who vex...well i guess vex...*shrugs*

Carnival Jumbie (Diva) said...

Boy jamette you was there for that soca performance!!! I know you eh forget that!!I did not want ppl to feel I making this up.

Jamette said...

Of course i was there!! What kinda question is that? She is not lying people, this is a true story as unbelievable as it sounds! LOL

Karabana said...

That's a riot!!! Love it! You tell such an entertaining story Diva! Yellow acid wash w zippers???! LOL, kids took their belts off & everything.. too much... I can just picture it in the movie of your life...

Carnival Jumbie (Diva) said...

Yuh see , yuh see..true story! I doh make up these things. I have so much ridiculous stories I should chage my name to Sprangalang or Paul Keens Douglas or something

Hottie Hottie said...

Diva girl (what to call yuh, Diva, Jumbie), that story was real tears. Is YEARS now I saying I going and bring out a tune. Meh sister red and have some LONG legs, one ah meh cousins tall and brown, another red with one BIG bamcee so we had a group catering for everybody. I woulda be lead singer - mad no ass AND I've perfected the art of singing and wining at the same time. Lewwe combine forces nah. In fact, we could be the on the road entertainment for the band me and Saucy bringing out! Keep it in the family!!!!!

Hottie Hottie said...

Diva girl (what to call yuh, Diva, Jumbie), that story was real tears. Is YEARS now I saying I going and bring out a tune. Meh sister red and have some LONG legs, one ah meh cousins tall and brown, another red with one BIG bamcee so we had a group catering for everybody. I woulda be lead singer - mad no ass AND I've perfected the art of singing and wining at the same time. Lewwe combine forces nah. In fact, we could be the on the road entertainment for the band me and Saucy bringing out! Keep it in the family!!!!!

pearlprincess said...

Jamette, Jumbie!!! What year was this!! Why I never hear about this one!!

Jamette said...

This was 1998 i think... what year did you leave?

squeezle said...

That was absolutely hilarious!! Typical SJC madness!

There is always a bunch of jokers in every class (I'm proud to say I was one of them). But allyh really take the cake! I could just picture that courtyard erupting into bacchanal. Lawd, I miss my school days...

Carnival Jumbie (Diva) said...

yep i have it as '98 as well.

pearlprincess said...

98! But I leave form 6 in 99...my memory real bad boy. : (

Island Spice said...

Jumbie.. jus stopping by to say hi. I cant sing but i will be a back up dancer!!

Carnival Jumbie (Diva) said...

obviously pearl princess!!! Like you duck school that day.lololol.

pearlprincess said...

chile...I vaguely remembering something like this eh...but I mus be was liming with the fellas too much to notice! LOL