Thursday, November 23, 2006

Champagne Tastes and Soft Drink Money Part Deux.

In relation to my previous post (I on a roll today) I was thinking about how these money issues will be affecting me in this Christmas into Carnival season. I eh go lie to tell you...I have champagne tastes (and soft drink money). I does get real vex in a free drinks parties. I am no big drinker but when I do drink I want to drink something I like. In free drink parties , all they want to give yuh free is rum, beer and shitty vodka. NONE of which I drink, so I does get turn off one time. Economically it makes no sense me paying $150 and up for 'free drinks' that I don't drink. Once in a while I may get lucky and go party where you get free cocktails but rarely...

If money was no option I would be drinking Moet Rose right thru..sigh. Seeing that it is, I settle for some Alize, Hypnotiq or Uncle Johnny Walker avec Le Red Bull.Of course you have to purchase all of these in 99% of parties.
So then we have all these 'all inclusive' fetes. Good for me because I actually get something I WANT to drink but really...... who the hell can afford to PAY to go all them party? Even IF I had that money to burn, I would never eat,drink and shit my money's worth. So herein lies the catch 22.....go cheap parties and buy drinks I like, or go expensive parties and eat and drink as much as I like.How you think I does feel when somebody offer to buy me a drink in the ZEN and they drinking STAG and all I want is Hypnotiq or Johnny??Well if they so chupid to offer.....lololol.
Past few years my solution has been to try and get in free to as many all inclusives I can and then pay for those I can't. My success rate as varied significantly over the years. One year I paid to go NOWHERE and was in every dance, sometimes I am forced to pick the few I really want to go to and pay. Who knows what next year will bring....

At the same time, you want best kit to go in every dance. I like to have something new for each party. Not everything in the kit have to be new..but at least a new top. After all...I am a Diva!Carnival wardrobe budget..something else I have failed to prepare for. Right now I hoarding a 3 outfit there in my cupboard and everytime I have to go out I 'saving it for Carnival'. And doh feel I am a bad budgeter. I can tell you exactly where every CENT of my money has gone. I am obsessive compulsive about my financial mangement software, I save every receipt. It is not unusual to see me staring at my comp for hours trying to figure out where that $20 went.

Unfortunately I am also a shopaholic. Everybody has their vice...mine just happens to be shopping. Thing is, I don't spend blindly, but I am what I call a 'superswiper' and a 'best shopper'. Superswiper because I love to Linx and Credit Card purchases. Best Shopper because I only buy things that I think are a good or reasonable price. This is probably a blessing because I think I would be even more in debt if I was a super swiper with no restraint. But the best shopper charateristic still has its limits....As a best shopper I may not buy a pair of jeans for $450 in stinkin' Jebelle when I know its $20US. However if I see a evening gown in Micles and it was $2000 and reduced to $1000 I might buy it cause its a good discount and price for the item. I get myself in trouble occasionally when I find myself rationalising the cost of an expensive item. For instance, I bought a dress in Peter Elias recently for like $900 (super swipe).

RATIONALISED:Well this is actually the first time in my life I am actually making a salary where I can even consider making a purchase like this on my own.Oh my god, its gorgeous. Well I have two wedding to go to, one overseas so I can wear it to both. That works out to $450 per wedding which is reasonable.No one will look as hot as me in this dress etc...

Another time I was walking through the mall talking on the phone and literally choked when I saw a pair of shoes in my favourite colour in the store window. My friend on the line thought I had an asthma attack. In the rare occasion I see something that gives me such a reaction I usually buy it..regardless of how expensive it is. This one set me back $600. I have never in life bought any pair of shoes that cost that much but I HAD TO HAVE IT!!

I definitey need to re-evaluate my priorities if I am going to get thru this season.Sigh only time will tell. I need to win the Lotto.

9 comments:

kevian said...

Girl I am some what different from you. I buy What I like not what is on sale.. i sometimes call down two $200 tops in one blow ( the same top different colours).. Girl I does live in zen! but I have fam up in there so I does get in VIP free and them I does by one drink and pose with it til someone offers to buy me another. Inaddition I am trying to save money to go to back to school next september.. i am feel your pain .. trust me.

Carnival Jumbie (Diva) said...

I am no stranger to them things.When i was in school I real over do it (RATIONALISATION: When i graduate I will have a big wuk to pay off these credit cards, yeah right). According to my financial software my net worth has only recently become positive lol. But I famous for buying the same two tops or two pairs of shoes in different colours. Lol
Zen later or wha?

Crankyputz said...

Sigh the way I see it is, I don't drink that much, or do crack, so I get to shop....but like you I'm a little excessive....luckily for now, its my own money, and only I see the bills. Was watching a show about finances, and this fella was going crazy over his gals habits, I can't imagine ever having to justify what I buy to some fella.

Carnival Jumbie (Diva) said...

Crankyputz , I did not even tell my b/f how much I pay for them things. Any time I make a big purchase I never tell him, I just say I buy a dress and if he ask how much I lie lol. He will be on my case for spending that money even though its not his. I guess he is planning our future lol.

Sexelise said...

Well,
I have a weakness for shoes.. While cleaning out my closet.. I have 96 new shoes (shoes that are new or have been worn 1 time) I dare not count the ones that are scattered around and not the sneakers either... As for clothes.. I have two suitcases full of clothes that I buy when winter is approaching so I get the best deals... and to add.. when I went to Miami Carnival in Ocotber i still shopped.. YES I KNOW IM SICK..

Carnival Jumbie (Diva) said...

I have a shoe problem too, I used to model so I had a shoe in every colour to go with every possible outfit I could ever get. So much so I went months with out wearing some, I have soem in boxes that only wear once since it buy two years ago.
I never give allyuh the joke how I pull out one from the back to look cute at a Friday after work lime. As I crosing Ariapita Ave the strap bus. Boy nothing I could do. A maxi man in traffic start to laugh and tell me bes i take it off. Well I had to them off and walk bare foot back across the roa dto the car..WHY? Cause I had 3 other pairs of shoes in the car that match the outfit lolol.

saucydiva said...

Well before I was married life was a bit different, I used to spend on whatever I liked when I liked but like you I always have a budget, I know what I spend my money on and I cannot resist a good deal.

Being married I budget way more, since there are MY peronal Bills, the HOUSEHOLD bills that I share and I also have my own account, my own credit card and my own savings. We tried doing the joint acocount,and that did not work. I tend to save up now and splurge later as well as trade off certian short term goal for long term ones; like I really want to go on a vacation next year, some place nice, not to the Caribbean..right now it's a toss up between a cruise, mexico or Europe. That means that I cannot party or shop as much as I would like, so I am always browsing for sales and saving up items of clothing for Carnival!As for fetes those will be very few unless I am getting free tix.I am choosing to spend my money on costumes and not fetes!

I prefer to shop online for stuff that is way too expensive here(got Levis for $20.00 at Sears that selling for $450.00 by Bluegrass)and I always check Jebelle and Peter Elias for sale, though I tend to shop by Peter even when there isn't a sale because his prices are reasonable. I buy my working clothes by London Store every few months or so I stock up with new items that I cam mix and match.

I prefer to buy quality stuff that will last over cheap stuff. I make sure and get leather handbags for work,same with the shoes, I DO NOT buy plastic shoes etc.

I do not go overboard for Christmas which saves me a bunch of money as well, I only buy gifts for a FEW people, forget about new curtians, paint etc. I don't study all them thing for Christmas at all.

SO I guess we each have to make our choices on what we spend our money on, unles you are a millionaire you will have to budget, make cut backs, sacrifices etc.

Sexelise said...

The good thing for me as my bf usually pays for my partying in trini...even though I feel bad going to all those all-inclusives when I dont drink alcohol.. my only expense is usually the ticket and the costume.. oh yeah.. and I pay for our trip to Tobago after Carnival...

kevian said...

Girl nah in nemos later, i feel like if I does live in de zen.. but wednesday for sure with dr evil. crank yuh made a point is only u seeing them bills. Look I bought my sneakers for carnival already, but I fraid to show my boifriend it.. because de 1st question i going and get is how much it cost (600tt).

I know about the rotten shoe snydrome, i always buy shoes to go with one outfit and it stays there after one wear. One day at the club meh shoe buss.. oh lord!!! lucky thing I does walk with ah extra pair of shoes in de ride!. I sen one ah meh girls in the car for it.