With that said, I will let you know now I am completely biased when it comes to hair removal methods. I believe all women should wax. As a matter of fact , women should wax everywhere that needs to have hair removed. First of all it is a VERY BAD idea to shave your bikini area (inner thighs/stomach) with a razor. Something we have all done at some point or other. If you do this or are thinking about it, stop now. Not now, right now. You get ingrowns, which either hurt like hell or turn the whole area black (darker than your natural skin tone) which I think is just as gross and unsightly as a hairy bikini line. Lets say that again, black scarred bikini lines are just as gross as hairy bikini lines. Of course you have the constant itching as the hair grows back. My waxing virginity was lost about 6 months ago and I really don't know why I did not do it before (ok I was terrified). The result is as smooth a a baby's bottom and looks smashing, your significant other won't complain either.It does wonders for your ego as well with the whole porn star finish.
So for those of you not up to the times..this is how it works:
Waxing is a temporary method of hair removal, which removes the hair from the root. New hairs will not grow back in the previously waxed area for three to eight weeks. Almost any area of the body can be waxed, including eyebrows, face, bikini area, legs, arms, back, abdomen and feet.
Waxing is accomplished by spreading a wax combination thinly over the skin. A cloth or paper strip is then pressed on the top and ripped off with a quick movement against the direction of hair growth. This removes the wax along with the hair and dead skin cells, leaving the skin smooth. If you going for the big bang, then you are getting a Brazilian bikini Wax in which ALL the hair on the outside edges and the inner folds are removed.
New hair growth in waxed areas is soft and fine, not sharp and coarse like shaved hair. After repeated waxing for areas like the eyebrows and lower legs, hair regrowth is less common and eventually the hair will never regrow.(so they say). There are many benefits to waxing versus other forms of hair removal. Waxing is a long lasting method. Hair in waxed areas will not grow back for three to eight weeks; when the hair does grow back it is soft and thin. When hair is shaved or removed by depilatory cream, the hair is removed at the surface rather than the root. Within a few days, the hair can be seen at the surface. With these methods, hair tends to grow back in a rough stubble.
I edited my previous post on "good skinis in" to include this Beauty Secret! For those of you who already have marks from ingrowns you can use "Eldopaque Forte" which was recommended by my aesthician. It comes in 2% and 4% formulas. Use the 2% if you just want to use it on your bikini line.The 4% can be used for marks on your face and has more sunscreen.It is also more expensive. This may be prescription in the States but in Trini just ask your pharmacist.
The obvious question is, "Does it hurt?". The answer is yes. "Does it hurt every time?" The answer is yes. But I have a very low threshold of pain and I think its bearable as it passes very quicky. The results are well worth the pain.It does generally become easier to bear. Beauty Secret!! To ease the pain you can purchase a topical cream at the pharmacy such as "Emla" which can be applied about half hour before your apointment. The cream numbs the area and makes the experience less painful.
And yes I said appointment!! DO NOT try this at home. Waxing should only be done by a a licensed aesthician. I guarantee if you lose your mind and try this for yourself you WILL do it wrong and you may very well never be able to get the courage to have it done professionally after the fact. Be real, unless you are a porn star or you removed a rib, you will never be able to contort to get access to the area corectly.
Other than the temporary pain, their are a few cons to waxing. You can still get ingrowns but they will not be as frequent or widespread. If you have been an avid reader of my blog you will already know the solution to this problem. If not, check the previous post on "good skin is in". Next con is that you have to resist the almost irresitable urge to shave in between waxing. The hair will be growing out and you will be telling yourself you have a hot date and you need to get rid of it. However , the hair will be so fine and so spaced out that I guarantee your special friend probably won't even notice. (I say this from experience lol). So a few tips...
- Find a licensed aesthician to perform the procedure. I strongly recommend that you find some one based on a referral from a trusted (yes trusted) friend
- The area to be waxed needs to have at least two weeks of hair growth.
- Do everyone a favour and take a shower before the appointment!!! Please don't embarrass yourself.
- If using topical cream to numb the pain,apply at least half hour before your appointment.
- It is highly advisable to wear a skirt when going to the appointment. Tight pants and jeans will irritate the area afterwards.Also a thong underwear helps if the aesthician is one who does not require you to remove your clothing (or if you prefer not to). This way they can pull aside the underwear to get access to the area.
- Take it in stages. You don't haveto take all off at your first appointment. You can take some off the sides as much as you can stand and then work your way inwards in subsequent visits.
- Do not anticipate the aesthician pulling the strip. Tensing up causes it to hurt more. It actually helps to distract yourself by talking to the aesthician or the friend you brought for support.
- There is no need to feel self conscious that the aesthician is seeing all your businatch. She (he? lol) does this for a living and they see it all day everyday. Nobody cares about yours. My aesthician is actually a friend of mine that I hang out with. I don't care.
- If you going for the Brazilian..go brave cause you better than me.lol I have high aspirations and I'm almost there but still working up the courage (I say next week for sure!)
- And finally make your next appointment at your first appointment so you don't have to go longer than the minimum time in between appointments. This would help you resist the urge to shave